Job Description – Retail Project Architect
This is a fully competent professional architect who will perform architectural design and development work for projects involving construction of new buildings and the alteration of existing buildings and facilities. Position is responsible for coordinating architectural work for entire projects. The scope and role of the Project Architect may fluctuate from project to project. Typically includes coordination of specifications and construction administration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Identifies objectives and formulates options; conceptualizes total project and establish key work priorities for development of design, scheduling and budgeting.
- Prepares designs, working drawings, specifications and initiates and develops design and construction documents for projects.
- Interprets design concepts by partnering with Senior Designers and translates them into workable construction systems; evaluates alternatives to develop solutions; maintains quality technical and design control.
- Coordinates/leads the work of architecture and interior design staff that complete design or production work, and construction documents.
- Coordinates and communicates regularly with managers, consultants, and team members regarding project status; ensures work meets clients’ requirements, is timely and completed within budget.
- Maintains records to document phases of client/architect/contractor relationship and activities.
- May perform a variety of architectural staff level duties as needed and depending on the scope of the project.
- May work with client to confirm objectives and formulate options; may prepare and conduct design and technical presentations for team and/or clients.
- May require domestic travel to visit clients and/or project sites.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Architecture or related field.
- Minimum six years’ experience as an architect with experience in retail.
- Architectural license desired.
- Thorough knowledge of construction materials, standards and codes.
- CADD proficiency required; hand sketching ability preferred. MEP experience preferred.
- Minimum two years previous supervisory and personnel management desired.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely; both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively create presentations and communicate concepts to clients and associates using various software applications.
- Ability to work effectively within a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to complete tasks with accuracy and with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines, completing tasks as previously defined.
- Ability to work with integrity, trust and commitment, setting an example for others.
- Ability to travel as needed.
We work hard at Graphite but recognize the importance of having fun while doing what we love. Social activities and group events are encouraged, like participating in community and volunteer events, sports teams, regular sketch group lunchtime outings, and monthly “happy hours” to celebrate new employees and birthdays, just to name a few.
We support flexible hours with our telecommuting policy while providing comprehensive and competitive benefits including full medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) matching and a commuter subsidy.
Employee development and growth are part of Graphite’s DNA, and we provide regular learning, training, and opportunities to attend conferences of interest and report back to the greater group.
At Graphite, design is a collaborative experience in which we encourage every employee to share their creativity, whether in team charrettes or everyday work, believing the best ideas remain yet to be discovered.
- 401(k) with Employer Matching
- Healthcare (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- Life and Disability Coverage
- Paid Holidays and Paid Time Off
- Public Transit Stipend
If you’re the successful candidate, you align with our Core Values of Integrity, Technical Know-How, Exceptional Client Service and Stewardship, and you’re a positive individual who works well independently as well as part of a dynamic and highly qualified team.